I am a neat freak. This is a fact I have never tried to deny and that everyone that knows me the littlest bit knows very well. At the same time I tend to be on the cynical side when it comes to new years and equating that with better things to come. I’m all for closing cycles, though, so I don’t shun them, just don’t think they’re such a big deal.
And yet, January is a quite unusual month for me. The first few days I outright refuse to do much in the way of work because it feels like the best moment for deep cleaning and purging of the past.
January is when I feel the biggest urge to sort through my art supplies, give away old clothes, update website designs and so on a so forth. It’s weird, but somehow over the past few years January became a transitional time. An unconscious “getting ready” for the coming year.
These are some of the things I do on Januaries:
- Sort through EVERYTHING in my closet and give away a ton.
- Re-organize my books under some new criteria.
- Clean and organize ALL my art supplies.
- Re-consider and often re-design the look of my portfolio (and many times, also any other site I’m running at the moment).
- Pick up new (or old and abandoned) healthy habits (that might last or not). This year I’m transitioning again to mostly vegetarian eating. And trying to meditate and do more yoga.
- Make a list of books I should read for whatever plans I have for the year. Then freak out about how many there are.
- Binge watch any TV shows I’m behind on from the previous year.
- Marathon all the nominated movies.
- Come up with new fun projects that might or might not see the light of day depending on my work/time situation.
- Try to teach myself some new skill.
- Make some space on my mac’s HD.
- Buy a calendar.
- Schedule all these things carefully on my planner.
Do you have any rituals to start a new year? I’d love to hear about them!